NEWS: Island States





A review of the use of the site shows that in the last 90 days there were 30% of new users and 70% of returnees. By country, 80% of users are from Croatia, 10% from the United States and 3% each from China, France and Italy.

By cities, most users are from Zagreb, 48%, Rijeka 19%, Zadar, Rome, Phoenix, Los Angeles and Pula each 3%.

In the last 7 days, page traffic is 5 - 9 visitors per day. Within November, there were 103 users, 68% of whom use a laptop and 31% a mobile phone.

Given the key theme, the project "Nova Issa - Center for Island Life and Culture" makes the visit and interest seem satisfactory. The project itself is still in demand, and the exploration of individual island states presented in the NEWS section contributes to defining the space and purpose of the research.

Project manager

Boško Budisavljević

49 island states: The list of countries, areas, population and names of capitals can be viewed in the EXHIBITION section.
Information on individual island states is presented in the NEWS section.




Cuba 100.860 km2 11.184.023 Capital Havana   If Iceland is one of the most idyllic island states, Cuba is certainly one of the most...

More details


Iceland 103,125 km2 348,580 inhabitants Capital Reykjavik   Something completely peaceful! An island state with a population of...

More details


Ireland 70,273 km2 4,588,252 Capital Dublin The island state of Ireland has the same population as Papua New Guinea and Croatia. Croatia is not...

More details

Papua New Guinea - Philippines - New Zealand

Papua New Guinea 462,840 km2 Population 4,927,000, Port Moresby Capital Philippines 300.076 km2 100.981.437 inhabitants, Capital of Manila New...

More details

Japan and the United Kingdom

Japan and the United Kingdom Japan 377,835 km2 127,450,000 Capital Tokyo United Kingdom 243,610 km2 65,648,100 Capital...

More details

Development of the Vis Island economy in the past
(selection from original scientific article selected by Bosko Budisavljevic)

The second sequel


Small livestock (sheep, goats) were present there in antiquity. On the islands of Hvar and Vis in 1824. 2,600 goats were grazed, which was considered a peril for their plants and crops. This leads to the realization that after 1827 the number of sheep has fallen sharply on the island and that the number of goats has increased. In addition to small treasures, the population then began to hold donkeys, mules and horses, and also a smaller number of cattle and pigs. Only since the 1920s has beekeeping grown on the island when the Austrian authorities vigorously advocate it. Since then, the production of smaller quantities of honey and yellow wax has been recorded there, somehow in both municipalities. It is known that 1,827 eyes of honey and 709 eyes of wax were made on the island at that time, which was a very large amount. In 1910, over one thousand hives were recorded in the political district of Hvar, so it was assumed that a good part of them were on the island of Vis. It was then that the "swan singing" of that activity on the island followed, which was then almost completely neglected. By the middle of XIX. the mulberry silk on the island was grown only for domestic purposes. Raw home-made silk and knit socks and gloves were made from homework. This production came to life around I860. when the great promotion of the Austrian authorities in this regard followed. That year, the production of silkworm cocoon on the island reached £ 800. Immediately afterwards she begins to faint. In 1861, 372 were made in the municipality of Vis, and only 6 libri bushes were made in Komiža, and the following year 196 libri were made in the former and none in the latter. Surely she never recovered again, since the latter reports do not even mention her.

In the first half of XVIII. century a fair amount of timber was occasionally hauled to Venice. Only in the decade 1735-1744. there were 62 ships on the island, 3,848 were taken there, and in the next ten years (1745-1754) as many as 15,737 quarts of firewood, especially in bread bakeries.

On the Isean coins from III. BC and reindeer, which may mean that there were these forest animals at that time. Furthermore, in the Middle Ages, falconry was common in Vis and Biševo. How significant this was also shown by the fact that it was leased.

Fishermen from the island of Vis can only be traced back to the 15th century. After the invasion of the Catalans in 1483, when there remained, a mountain population would be said to have moved to the two largest ports - St. Juraj and Komiža, fishing gets a significant boost. The comedians became the most common use of "army" (a type of fishing nets). Catching these nets was very effective, causing the envy of "traters" (another type of fishing nets). One report from 1559 states that the annual revenue of the Hvar commune is 80,000 ducats, 20,000 of which were obtained by fishing, thanks in large part to the fishermen of the island of Vis. Only from the revenues from the Trešnjevac hunting ground near Biševo was built in 1585 in Komiža the fortress of Sv. Nicholas. The most by-catch was reported to have taken place in 1833, when about 50 million anchovies fished around Bisevo alone in the fishermen of Komiža.  Already in 1859, the fishermen there had 244 boats, 46 turf and 106 troops, more Komiža than surplus ones. The value of blue fish caught by fishermen there in the four-year period 1857-1860. it amounted to 532,427 fiorines, which made up almost half of the whole of Dalmatia. During the Italian occupation of the island the catch of anchovy was very weak. Despite the fact that the 1923 Brijuni Convention restricted Komiža's right to fish, when only 40 of their boats with anchoring trawlers were allowed to go to the waters of Palagruza, which belonged to Italy, fishing was a significant source of income for the island population. Already in 1859, the fishermen there had 244 boats, 46 turf and 106 troops, more Komiža than surplus ones.

It was not until the First World War that greater attention was paid to tuna fish by island fishermen. Thus, in 1911, there are 15 tonid trawls on the island, most of them stagnant. Tuna catches are unknown. That catch continued in the mid-war, but even then he was so modest that he was hardly worth mentioning. Although lobsters were hunted in the waters of Vis, in 1894 Frane Balica established an artificial breeding farm in Komiža. His pond quickly became famous for the Monarchy's quality of farmed lobsters, and Archduke Carlo asked him to be the supplier of the lobster court. All this testifies that from the end of the last century until the Second World War Komiza was the center of fishing in Dalmatia.

(end of second sequel)

Development of the Vis Island economy in the past
(selection from original scientific article selected by Bosko Budisavljevic)
The first sequel.
The island goes down in history as soon as it was colonized by Greeks from Sicily, with at least 600 people. Some claim that in ancient times, during the Roman rule of the island, 7,000 people continued:
After Croats migrated to the island, they merged with the ancient Greek-Roman population for centuries. As early as the 10th century, Vis was a completely Croatian city. Then the Venetians attack and destroy it and take part of its population into slavery. Komiža was first mentioned in XII. century.
The attack of the Catalans on the island in 1483 cost it the loss of a large number of inhabitants in the interior of the island (Velo selo), and since then their population has gradually settled the ports of Vis and Komiža. At the beginning of the 16th century, there were 1,000 or 1,200 inhabitants on the island, which could reach 1,500 people. The first more reliable figure comes from 1637, which indicates that the town of Vis has only about 1,000 inhabitants. The opportunity for the new population to settle in the middle of the 17th c. centuries for the duration of the Kandy War. At that time, about 40 families from the coast of Makarska moved to the island. It formed a special group, the so-called. "New inhabitants", endowed with some privileges by the Venetian authorities. 1698 1,800 people in Komiža alone. In 1736 the settlement of Vis was inhabited by 2,000. and 1,338 inhabitants in Komiža. 1782 in the three hamlets of Vis there are 460 families with 2,300, and in Komiža there are 320 families with 1,460 members.
The English administration of the island (since 1809) attracted a large number of adventurers and businessmen, and in a few years the number of its inhabitants increased to as much as 12,000. In 1813, there were 4,270 inhabitants in Vis. Certainly similar was in Komiža, so at that time the island was probably inhabited by about 8,000 people. In 1910 there were 10,107 inhabitants on the island.
It is interesting, however, that in 1928 an attempt was made to grow various peas in the Komiza fields. This proved to be useful and lucrative. By 1937, so in ten years, as many as 25 wagons of winter peas were produced there, mostly sold off the island.
Greek philosopher Agatarhial as early as III. century BC, a wine is being produced on Issa (Vis), an island on the Adriatic, which compares with all other then known wines. Moreover, it proved to be the best of all. In 1771, A. Fortis visited the island and noted that it was of medium quality wine. However, the peak of grapevine cultivation on the island came about 1890, when it covered an area of ​​4,697 acres (1,438 in Komiža municipality and 3,259 in Vis). Namely, it is known that in 1888. the island produced close to 100,000 hectoliters. almost four times more than twenty years earlier. At the 1903 exhibition in Ghent. Vis wine represented Dalmatia. This made the voice of the quality of excess wines even more pronounced. During the First World War, phylloxera almost destroyed the island's vineyards, before it had no one to cultivate and protect them from the pest. On the island in 1938. as many as 150,000 hl of wine were produced, which is a highlight of its production in the past.
In the 18th century, the belief of the island population was that the climate there was not conducive to the cultivation of olives, and therefore did not grow it, despite the vehement persuasion of the Venetian authorities. No other fruit, except carob, until XVIII. centuries were not cultivated to a considerable extent. During this century, there were fewer southern fruit trees (lemons, oranges) and pears on the island. The carob has been grown on the barren, uncultivated soil of the island since Greek colonization, which, of course, continued afterwards. However, it is known that in 1923. there were 53,542 carob trees in the Hvar district, of which a considerable number certainly grew on Vis. However, there is a claim by a competent expert that in the interwar period, in the birth year, only the population of Komiža municipality reads over 20 wagons of carob. In addition to carob, the island lacked some other fruits - figs, cherries, pears, fairy tales and others. In the mid-19th century, 1,600 fig trees and 700 bay trees grew on the island. At that time, more attention was paid to the cultivation of ants. There were 450 of them in 1852, and in the following years several thousand of her young would be planted. Their cultivation was intended exclusively for the production of silkworms, that is, silk.
(end of first sequel)





google translate

The Association of Anatomy of Islands - Research and Development Center was established in 2011 on the island of Vis.

The activities of the Anatomy Association of  Islands in the period 2012-2016 can be followed by clicking ARCHIVE at the top right of the cover page.

There are all the information from international symposia and workshops, summaries of all presentations, biographies of all participants, student works (24 works), videotapes and video footage of all presentations and roundtables.

For the Anatomy of Islands of 2012 - 2016, the association received the ARTUR 2016 Award of the Society of Architects of Zagreb.


The Association of Anatomy of Islands, in cooperation with Dobre Dobričević, organized an international student workshop in Lastovo in 2017.

After that, the first international symposium and workshop in 2018 was also organized on Lastovo.

The Lastovo program is also planned for the next four years.

Activities in 2017 and 2018 can be seen by 2018 in the top right corner of the cover.

Activities in 2019 will be able to be followed by 2019.


All suggestions and comments and inquiries can be sent to email


We wish everyone a pleasant and successful 2019 year.



Financial support